Friday, July 22, 2011

Beef, Hot Dog, and Biscuit Bake

Alright, reader peoples, I've been gone for, like, 3 days I think? Not okay. I have all sorts of fun plans for what I'm writing about for the next couple nights, and I'm going camping for the next couple nights, so I better get crackin'.

Yesterday was long and stressful and lately I've been insatiably hungry for maybe a week now and we have a bunch of random half-eaten ingredients in our fridge and, naturally, that led to my making some kind of variation of this "Beef & Bean Roundup"thing my mom made for us all the time growing up. One of my favorite dishes ever. You can make it with all sorts of stuff that you probably have in your fridge and pantry. So here's the version I had:

Beef, Hot Dog, and Biscuit Bake
or I've Gotta Get this Crap Out of My Refrigerator Before it Goes Bad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Bake at 350 degrees


Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 ish bottle of barbecue sauce (I say "ish" because I only had about 2/3 of one left and it worked just fine)
1/2 pack Oscar Meyer wieners (really, you can use any hot dogs you want, I just wanted to be able to write the word "wiener" as many times as humanly possible in a single post)
Bisquick
milk
cheese of your choice (preferably shredded)
spices (your choice)
chopped onion

Quite obviously I added ingredients as I went, but these are the basics.


Directions:
1. Brown the ground beef, throwing chopped onions in toward the end - it keeps them crisp!

My perfectionist stepbrother-in-law saw the beef on the cooktop and asked if I wanted to fix it because it was "so imperfect!!" I told him I was leaving it there because it was how I felt. Yesterday was a bad day. 

2. I also stirred in these spices as I browned the meat. Just for me. Because I can:



3. Slice up the wieners into you-could-safely-feed-them-to-your-17-month-old-sized slices
4. Combine the beef, onions, and hot dog slices into a 9" x 13" x 2" baking dish

Well, crap...maybe not.

...okay, let's try a 9" x 9" baking dish?

There we go. If I didn't mention before, I'm making this up as I go along.


5. Empty the entire bottle of barbecue sauce into the baking dish and stir into the meat*
6. In a medium bowl, follow the instructions on the back of the Bisquick box to make biscuits. It's just Bisquick and milk.

Of course, I got to this step in the cooking process last night and realized zOMG WE DON'T HAVE ANY MILK WTF?! and had to run to the store in the middle of dinner prep. So...if my prep time is sort of like, you know...off...now you know why. And you're not allowed to get mad at me.

7. Scoop dough on top of the meat, in regular sized biscuit portions, to cover the dish
8. Place the dish in the oven (350 degrees) and bake for 20 minutes.
9. Immediately after removing the dish from the oven, sprinkle biscuits with shredded cheese. Or, if you're like me and don't realize until the moment you take the dish out of the oven that you have no shredded cheese of any kind, do something like this:


with a cheese like this:


Then scoop onto a plate like this:


And enjoy!

*instead of barbecue sauce, you can use one of those really big cans of baked beans. Choose the bean flavoring (maple, hickory smoked, etc) on what spices you did or didn't put in the meat while cooking it. I would have used hickory smoked baked beans  if we'd had them!

Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment